Blitzkrieg! Attack on the West, 1940
A Note on Copyright
BLITZKRIEG! ATTACK ON THE WEST, 1940 is COPYRIGHTED -- NOT Public Domain -- and FREE under the following conditions:
- Schools, libraries, and museums are free to make and keep copies for in-house educational use or nonpermanent loan/circulation ... in gratitude for the fine education and research assistance I have always received from such institutions.
- An individual is free to make one personal copy of France 1914 for his/her own personal use.
- All other rights -- including publishing rights -- are reserved to me.
BLITZKRIEG! ATTACK ON THE WEST, 1940 is dedicated ...
A. to all those who suffered in the First and Secons World Wars - especially, in the West, the Belgian and French peoples.
B. to my children Rebecca, Robert, Rohan, and Johanna, in the hope that they may never have to go through a world war:
The more we learn about the world wars, the better our chances that they will be the LAST world wars.
C. To my good friend and a proud Frenchman in Gothenburg Sweden, Patrick Tremoureux, and his beautiful little family, for their generous hospitality and his contagious joie de vivre.
A Request: If you do assemble and play this free game of mine, PLEASE let me know at ELCOAT@hotmail.com what you think of it and whether, after more than a couple games, you think one side or the other has an advantage. Thanks!
And now: Here are BLITZKRIEG! ATTACK ON THE WEST, 1940's components, to print off and assemble so that it may be played. Players-students will also need a single six-sided die (or chits numbered 1-6, to be drawn out of a hat) for the randomized combat results tables.
- Rules in Rich Text Format, Revised, 20Feb17. These will probably be revised frequently, with feedback.
- Examples of movement vis a vis ZOCs and rivers.
- Allied and German UnitsYou will want to print the units off at maximum size possible and then photo-reduce them from that, for best detail/quality. If you can, use a Pen width of 2 instead of 1, because the drawing lines are so fine.
5/8"--15mm--wide is about right for the smaller map. French and Allied units should be printed/photocopied off onto light tan/khaki (or NATO good guy light blue) paper/cardstock, for mounting on the back of blue-backed posterboard or (better) matte board. German units should be printed/photocopied off onto light gray (or NATO bad guy pink) for mounting on the back of red (bad guy) posterboard or matte board.
Note that the armies' entrenched sides should be 1 factor higher than their maneuver sides and that the entrenchments should be cut off before the initial mounting and glued on the back of their respective armies.
All units should be used on the bigger map. Of the infantry corps/korps nly 2 French, 3 German, and the Belgian Ardennes Chasseurs should be used on the smaller map.
- Allied and German Units which should print off smaller
- The (whole) Map, Revised 26Nov16
You will want to print the maps off as large as possible, and you may want to enlarge them with a photocopier after that. Ivory is an excellent color.
- The Northern Half of the Map, Revised 26Nov16
- The Southern Half of the Map, 26Nov16
- Historical and Game Design Commentary, 31Mar13 with more explanations of design rationales and with Advice on Play of the Game.
- Accounts of games of Blitzkrieg ... 1940 played, in rtf without photos.
- To record the game's significant moments, as well as have a momento (and analysis) of your games.
- Accounts of games of Blitzkrieg ... 1940 played - NOT READY, in HTM with photos - First to be posted soon.
- A form to record the game's significant moments, as well as have a momento (and analysis) of your games.
Comments by myself and others about the game can be read on ConSimWorld
If you are a friend, and/or if you would like to share info and ideas about military and naval history and game designing and cardstock model shipbuilding, and/or you have any questions about BLITZKRIEG! ATTACK ON THE WEST 1940, feel free to e-mail me at ELCOAT@Hotmail.com
Thank you for your interest in the game ... and its history.
2013, rev. 21Feb17