A Note on Copyright
France 1870 is COPYRIGHTED -- NOT Public Domain -- and FREE under the following conditions:
- Schools, libraries, and museums are free to make and keep copies for in-house educational use or nonpermanent loan/circulation ... in gratitude for the fine education and research assistance I have always received from such institutions.
- An individual is free to make one personal copy of France 1870 for his/her own personal use.
- All other rights -- including publishing rights -- are reserved to me.
France 1870 is dedicated ...
A. The French and German people in the hope they will never again go to war.
B. to my children Rebecca, Robert, Rohan, and Johanna, in the hope that they may never have to go through a world war:
The more we learn about wars, the better our chances that they will be the LAST wars.
A Request: If you do assemble and play this free game of mine, PLEASE let me know at ELCOAT@hotmail.com what you think of it and whether, after more than a couple games, you think one side or the other has an advantage. Thanks!
And now: Here are France 1870 components, to print off and assemble so that it may be played. Players-students will also need a single six-sided die (or chits numbered 1-6, to be drawn out of a hat) for the randomized combat results tables.
- Rules: Use the France 1914 Rules with the following changes:
Only Prussian numbered korps and armies are replaceable, but only one next on the turn track per turn. Korps take 1 turn to rebuild and armies take 4 (not 3) turns.
French Guards start in Paris and French cavalry start in Chalons. The 5 French infantry corps must be somewhere on the German border. The 3 Prussian armies start in the northern portion of Germany - korps anywhere in Germany.
Luxembourg may not be entered.
Initial/engaging movement for all infantry corps/korps is 2 plus the 2 hexes of Operational Movement Bonus and for the French cavalry it is 3+2. The Prussian armies have an initial movement of 1 until the 4th turn when our Generals Burnsides & Sheridan have shown them how to speed up supply, at which time it increases to 4. The Prussian player may instead roll the die for a 1 for that, starting in the first turn ... so he could get the improvement on the first turn ... or never.
(UnDistrupted, of course) French units get a +1 column elan vital shift on any attacks.
- The map.
- The colored units. I may re-do the color combinations - blue background for French with white lettering/numbering and black background for Prussians.
More comments by myself and others about the game can (soon?) be read on href="http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1ddc694f/">ConSimWorld and href="http://www.boardgamegeek.com.
If you are a friend, and/or if you would like to share info and ideas about military and naval history and game designing and cardstock model shipbuilding, and/or you have any questions about France1870 feel free to e-mail me at ELCOAT@Hotmail.com
Thank you for your interest in the game ....